Trichy, Tamil Nadu – India
Food Security and Food Sovereignty
THE CONTEXT OF YOUR INITIATIVE
The key food producers are land less agricultural workers, and small farmers. They hardly have two meals a day. Before the advent of Green Revolution in 1960, they had a very diverse food pattern. Now 40% of the population eats rice and 60% eats wheat. These two crops are high water utilising, solar, fertilizer dependent. They are mono crops and are susceptible to pest and diseases. Climate change has resulted in recurring droughts and floods. Resulting in large scale migration of men and youth.
Rice and wheat are carbohydrates. Now food is being poisoned. Today more than 30% of the population is diabetic and 45% of the children are malnourished. There is an increase in infertility, blood pressure, cardiac, cancer, kidney problems in rural areas.
THE ACTIVITIES CARRIED OUT AS PART OF YOUR INITIATIVE
• Facilitate street theatre and non-formal environment education.
• Enhance community leadership on status and management of community tanks and community forest.
• Establishing 150 hectares of community forest.
• Establishing Kolunji Ecological farm and training centre.
• Facilitating LEISA (Low External Input Sustainable Agriculture) Network
• Organising training in sustainable agriculture for farmers, NGOs, university and school students.
• Facilitate Farmers field school.
• Facilitate seed banks in the villages
• Facilitate People’s Financial Institution.
• Facilitate Organic certification.
• Facilitate collective processing and Marketing of Agricultural products.
• Facilitate training for NGOs and students at the Asian and International Level.
WHO IS INVOLVED FROM OUR GROUP?
7 Companions, 7 staff, 15 Volunteers, Farmers and students who have been trained.
WHICH PARTNERS ARE YOU WORKING WITH ON THIS INITIATIVE?
85% of the governing body are women.
Four of the core staff are children who joined us at the age of 7 years, they have now graduated from the university.
We have established 150 hectares of community forest.
We have established a 15-hectare farm and Training centre.
Annually we are offering training to 1200 farmers, 360 university students, 600 school students and 100 International students.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO ADD ANY INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR INITIATIVE?
WHAT ARE YOUR PROSPECTS?
We are studying possibilities of working together with companies under corporate social responsibilities. We are looking forward to sharing our training materials and our expertise in Sustainable to Emmaus member communities in other parts of world.